Coding a smarter world through chess
Play Magnus is seeking to hire a Frontend Developer to join the team’s mission of making the world a smarter place through chess. The ideal candidate for this role is positive, passionate, ambitious, and a solid team player. It’s someone that can create awesome code and produce frontend that enhances our brand. We’re looking for a developer that’s eager to learn new things and improve their skills, in a creative, fast-paced and ambitious team environment.
Play Magnus is a company owned by Magnus Carlsen, who’s by far the world’s best chess player.
Our team has been active in app development since 2014, and has created several apps, such as Play Magnus, Magnus Trainer and Tactics Frenzy. Our focus is shifting towards new products on web, but we’ll also make sure that our apps are maintained and updated frequently. Our products have received several design awards for game development and interaction design.
Our company has grown to include the world’s leading chess broadcasting website, Chess24, among other exciting products such as Chessable. At Play Magnus, you will be part of shaping the future of Magnus Carlsen’s digital presence.
- Development of the original Play Magnus, Magnus Trainer, and Tactics Frenzy apps. The team is also doing more web development moving forward.
- Collaborate with the product owner following the backlog priorities.
- Work well in a team environment.
- Demonstrate modesty and respect when receiving feedback from your team and vice versa.
- Contribute to the creative team with new ideas and game design suggestions.
- Be able to follow up on already created code and adapt to infrastructure already in place.
We expect you to:
- Be fluent in English. It’s an advantage to be good at Norwegian (oral and written), but not a requirement.
- Be based in Oslo or be willing to relocate here to work tightly together with the rest of the team.
- To have completed a Bachelor’s or Masters' degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics or natural sciences.
- Have the ability to quickly get up to speed with existing code and a fast learner.
- To have excellent communication skills.
- Manage tight delivery schedules.
- Experience with designing software architecture sketches and diagrams (UML).
- Passion for game and software development.
- You don’t need to know how to play chess, but we hope you would eventually want to, meaning to either have an interest in chess or to have the desire to learn as much as you can about chess.
- Be interested in working and/or learning SQL, cloud solutions, and server maintenance best practices.
- Bonus points if you have experience with backend and cloud solutions.
- Strong company values.
- Challenging and interesting work.
- Full flexibility of hours.
- Home office when needed.
- That you’re able to tell your friends and family you work with digital products for the world’s best chess player. Which is pretty cool, especially in Norway.
- Full-time employment in central Oslo offices at Mesh.
If you are interested, please send us your resume and a portfolio of projects demonstrating your skillset. For questions about the role contact:
Felipe Longe, CTO